Kala Point Owners’ Association Frequently Asked Questions FAQ's


A: TV: WAVE is the local cable TV provider. 1-360-452-1278

There are 2 satellite providers, both offering high-definition options. Ask your neighbors who they prefer.

DIRECTV 1-800-783-1376 Dish Network 1-800-668-6071

INTERNET is provided by two contractors. Again, ask your neighbors who they prefer.
CenturyLink 1-888-914-7260 WAVE (high speed) 1-360-452-1278

TRASH: Murreys Olympic Disposal collects garbage each Tuesday. Call them to set up services. 1-

RECYLING: Skookum Environmental Services provides dumpsters for recyclables in Storage Lot B.

If the gate is locked, the Clubhouse key will open it. Please lock the gate if you are the last one to leave and the KPOA Office is closed. If the dumpster bins are getting full or are full, please notify the KPOA Office.

PHONE: Century Link provides local land line phone service. 1-888-914-7260

WAVE provides local land line phone service via the internet. 1-360-452-1278

ELECTRIC/WATER: Public Utility District (PUD) # 1 of Jefferson County is the local electrical and
water service provider. www.jeffpud.org 1-360-385-5800


A: The best place to view and print the documents is online this website. You may also contact the KPOA Office (360-385-0814 or info@kalapoint.org) to get copies printed for a nominal cost of $0.15 per page.


A: In most cases it makes for better neighborhood relations to contact the pet owner directly and
explain what is going on. Many times, dogs bark when the owner is not home, so pet owners are not always aware of the problem. If for some reason reporting the problem directly to the pet owner is not feasible, call Jefferson County Animal Control (JCAC) at 360-385-3292.

You are encouraged to limit outdoor pets to two (2); no livestock is allowed. Dogs must wear a current dog license; the licensing of cats is recommended. Dogs must be leashed at all times when off your property, except for supervised runs on the beach when they must be under voice control. The leash rule applies to all roads and common areas in Kala Point, as well as in Old Fort Townsend State Park, which borders Kala Point. You must remove all pet waste from right of ways, the beach and common areas. Pet waste bags are available at both ends of the beach parking lot. You must prevent your dog(s) from barking excessively. Any animal running loose may be seized and impounded. [Rules and Regulations IIC]


NOTE: For more details about Vegetation/Views, please refer to the KPOA Governing Documents at kalapoint.org. Specifically, please review APP II-22 Tree and Vegetation Policy.

A: While views are protected, the CC&Rs state that views may be maintained to the greatest extent reasonably practicable. [CC&Rs IV B Section 9 (a)] Therefore, we recommend that new members take photographs of the view they have at the time they purchase. Date the photo and identify your property (lot number/street address) and submit a copy for the KPOA Office owners’ lot file. These photos provide documentation of your view and aid in maintaining it.

A: All requests for view maintenance must first be reviewed by the appropriate committee. If the trees in question are on your property, your neighbor’s property or KPOA common property, (other than the Bluffs common property) approval must be obtained from the Tree Committee. If the trees in question are on KPOA Bluffs common area, the approval must be obtained from the Bluff Management Advisory Committee (BMAC.) Again, we recommend that all new members take photographs of the view they have at the time they purchase their property. Date the photo and identify the property (lot number/street address) and submit a copy for the KPOA Office owners’ lot file.

A: Prior approval is not required to perform any action on trees planted by a former or current member on private property. These are called “planted” trees. You are permitted to perform any action on a “planted” tree – a tree that does not meet the definition for a “mature natural tree (planted by Mother Nature). A “mature tree” is classified as one that is larger than six inches in diameter or 19 inches in circumference measured at three feet above the trunk base. You must obtain prior approval from the Tree Committee to remove or limb a mature, natural growing tree. There are some exceptions related to limbing a mature natural tree. You do not have to obtain prior approval from the Tree Committee if the tree limbs are within 15 feet from the side of a dwelling (or eaves) or other structure*, if the limbs are overhanging the dwelling or other structure within 15 feet of the roof or 15 feet over the driveway, or the limbs are dead. These may be pruned to the trunk without permission. [APP II-22 Vegetation and Trees Policy – Explicit Policy Exemptions.

*For the purposes of the Vegetation Policy, ‘structure” is defined as a dwelling, deck, greenhouse,
permanent shed or gazebo that has been approved by the Architectural Committee. [Note: some
exemptions do not apply to certain KPOA areas that are under the Jefferson County Shoreline Master Program jurisdiction involving Critical Areas and/or Shoreline Buffer areas. Check with the KPOA General Manager.]

A: All proposed actions regarding mature natural trees on your neighbor’s lot must be authorized by the Tree Committee. First, obtain the Vegetation Control Request Form at the KPOA Office or download it from the KPOA website. Then, get written permission from your neighbor concerning your proposed actions. Submit that written permission along with your completed Vegetation Control Request form to the KPOA Office. The KPOA Office staff will route your request to the Tree Committee.

A: All requests for tree action on KPOA Bluffs common property must first be reviewed by the Bluff Management Advisory Committee (BMAC). BMAC Tree Action Proposal Forms may be obtained at the KPOA Office or on online at the KPOA website. [Note: Certain lots are affected by the Jefferson County Shoreline Master Program (SMP – Ordinance #07-1216-13) including areas within 200 feet of the shoreline involving Critical Areas and/or Shoreline Buffers. Check with the KPOA General Manager.]

For tree action on all other KPOA common property, approval must be obtained from the Tree
Committee and the KPOA General Manager. Tree Committee Vegetation Control Request Forms may be obtained at the KPOA Office or downloaded from the KPOA website.

A: If your property is a developed property (with a home), you may cut back or remove non-tree vegetation without obtaining KPOA permission, always applying the 6- inch rule. For example, if a tree is less than six inches in diameter (when measured at three feet above the trunk base) it may be removed without prior approval. If your property is undeveloped (without a home), you are limited to minimal vegetation removal using only hand tools. To use heavy machinery on an undeveloped lot you must obtain prior written approval from the appropriate KPOA committee (Tree or Architectural). [APP III-2, 6A] If your property is on the bluff area, there are additional rules concerning trees, shrubs and undergrowth.

[Note: Certain lots are affected by the Jefferson County Shoreline Master Program (SMP – Ordinance #07-1216-13) including areas within 200 feet of the shoreline involving Critical Areas and/or Shoreline Buffers. Check with KPOA General Manager.]

A: If the tree being removed is a natural tree, the requester pays. If the tree being removed is a planted tree, the property owner pays. [CC&R IVB, Sec. 9(b)]

A: Contact the KPOA Office or you can download it at www.kalapoint.org.

A: Return completed form(s) to the KPOA Office where they will be routed to the appropriate
committee. A Tree Committee case manager will contact you concerning your request.

A: Submit your completed form to the KPOA Office 15 calendar days before the next regular monthly Tree Committee meeting. The Tree Committee currently meets on the second Thursday of every month.


A: Yes, washing cars in driveways is ok. Washing vehicles at the beach is not authorized except for
rinsing off saltwater from boats and trailers.

A: In most cases, the strip of land between the road edge and the front of the individual lot is part of the right-of-way owned by KPOA. The width of this strip varies from a couple of feet to as much as 15 feet. If you are unsure of the location of your property corners, contact the KPOA Office. The only accurate method to determine property lines is to hire a surveyor.

A: A setback is the no-build zone around your property. Generally, it’s 10 feet around the side and back property lines and 25 feet in the front [APP III-2, 7A].

A: If you wish to make improvements or alterations to these areas, the KPOA General Manager must give authorization prior to commencement of any work. If changes are approved, you will be responsible for maintaining these areas. KPOA always reserves the right to enter onto or make use of the property at any time, and, if necessary, require that the improvements be removed at your expense.

A: You are expected to keep your developed property neat and in a good state of repair, with shrubbery pruned, weeds cut and dead trees removed. RVs, boats and extra cars should be stored in your garage or in the storage lots, not on the streets or road shoulders. Garbage cans shall be stored out of sight of the road.
A: Any exterior change to an existing structure, such as re-roofing or adding a room, repainting or the adding of a new structure requires approval by the Architectural Committee, using the Request for Architectural Committee Approval form. [CC&R VIII, Sec. 3]
A: First, you must submit a Request for Architectural Committee Approval form. If your request to build a wood or storage shed is approved, you must build according to the guidelines available online or at the KPOA Office. [APP III-2, 10(E)]
A: New home construction and expansion to an existing home at Kala Point requires Jefferson County Building and Septic Permits, prior to the approval of the Kala Point Architectural Committee. The Request for Architectural Committee Approval Form and KPOA Architectural Standards are available at the KPOA office and online at www.kalapoint.org. [APP III-2, 5]
A: You may store a small boat on the beach boat racks (subject to availability) for an annual fee of $56. RV, boat, trailer and vehicle storage is provided in Storage Lots A &B for an annual fee ranging from $97 to $158, depending on the size of the space. Assignment of spaces and collection of fees are done at the KPOA office every June. Current registration is required on all vehicles and trailers in the storage lot.


A: Monday thru Friday the gates open at 6:00 a.m. and close at 6:00 p.m. The gates are closed throughout weekends and on holidays. This schedule is subject to change.

A: There are four gate access methods through the Kala Point main entrance gate:

Gate Cards: Swipe gate cards at the gate card reader located next to the gatehouse. Additional gate cards may be purchased at the KPOA Office for $15. If you bring in a defective or damaged gate card, you may purchase one for the reduced price of $10.

Gate Transmitters: Like a garage door opener, transmitters allow residents to open the gate from as far as 20 feet away. They are available at the KPOA Office for $35-$55.

Tele-entry system: Guests enter your three-digit lot number into the keypad at the gate to request entry. The gate kiosk will dial a local telephone number that you designate. When you answer the phone and want to allow your guest access then you push 9 on your phone to open the gate. Once your property is connected, any future owners of the property will be connected to the service. Contact the KPOA Office to sign up or ask questions.

Utility Access Codes: Contractors, service providers, commercial operations, etc. may obtain a four-digit code, valid for up to a year, for business purposes only. There is no charge for this service. Members may obtain a code to be used in a business manner with vendors, home health care, home improvement companies, etc., for a specified amount of time, not to exceed one year. Members may also obtain a code for personal use (e.g. out of town guests visiting, hosting an event, etc.) valid for up to 30 days. There is no charge for this service.

A: Kala Point has several emergency exit routes to be used if evacuation through the main gate is
impeded. The Clubhouse key will open all emergency exit locks. Those exits are:

From inside the main gate turn right on Sail view Drive then right on Terrace Drive. There is a gate near the end of Terrace Drive at N. Victory Ave. Go through the gate onto N. Victory Ave. then turn right on E. Island View Ave. At the stop sign go straight onto Prospect Ave. toward Hwy 19.

Another exit is through Storage Lot A, off Pinecrest Drive next to the mailbox station and water towers. There are two gates in the fence bordering the Woodland Hills development that lead to Woodland Hills Drive and State Route 19.

In addition to the two vehicle emergency evacuation routes, pedestrians may exit through Old Fort Townsend State Park at a number of marked locations.

A: Your Clubhouse key will open padlocks on all emergency gates, as well as the RV storage lot gates, the chain across the boat ramp and the tennis courts.


A: Residents use the roads at Kala Point for walking, however, cars have the right of way on Kala Point roads. Walking on streets still demands common sense. Always be alert to car traffic. Use the road shoulder when cars approach. Walk on the left, facing oncoming traffic. Wear light-colored clothing, which drivers can readily notice. Be aware that bright sun or low light situations may cause drivers to not see you. Trail signs point to trails within the community. Old Fort Townsend State Park has walking trails with entrances from Kala Point. Maps of trails, common areas and the state park are available at the KPOA office. At night, members are encouraged to wear reflective devices and/or carry a light. When you drive, remember that the speed limit throughout Kala Point is 25 MPH.

A: No. The use of firearms, fireworks or explosives is prohibited everywhere in Kala Point.

A: You can direct a letter or email to the KPOA Board. Your letter should be delivered to the KPOA
Office where it will be distributed to each Board member. As a member, you are also encouraged to attend monthly KPOA Board meetings at the Clubhouse (currently the 2nd Tuesday of each month at 1pm) and to participate in the public comment period at the beginning and end of the meeting.

Following is the contact information if you would like to send an email:

KPOA Board of Directors kpoa_board@kalapoint.org.

General Manager, Keith Larson gm_larson@kalapoint.org Email

Admin Assistant, Felice Thompson felice@kalapoint.org


A: No, please do not remove any wood from the beach as the beach is part of an eco-system.

A: Yes, with a state shellfish permit. Crab season is usually July and August; clam season varies year to year.

A: Kala Point’s dock, waterfront and beach are amenities for members and their guests only. The dock is primarily for loading and unloading. All vehicles parked at the beach must display a KPOA hang tag or sticker, Renter’s Pass or a Visitor Pass. These may be obtained from the KPOA Office or the Clubhouse. Unauthorized vehicles may be towed at vehicle owner’s expense.
A: Extended moorage is provided at the buoys on a first-come, first-served basis and for no more than one week. Moored craft must be registered at the Clubhouse.

A: Yes. Swimming is not permitted from the dock and unattended crab pots are not permitted in the vicinity of the dock or boat ramp. Unattended boats are not authorized to be tied to the dock.

A: No, overnight camping is not permitted on the beach or spit area. Camping is available at nearby Old Fort Townsend State Park (April through September) and at a number of other locations locally.


A: All bulletin board flyers must be submitted at the KPOA Office for approval before being posted. Because of limited space on bulletin boards, official Kala Point notices and Kala Point social activities will receive priority. Posting of flyers for other events, such as concerts, art shows, community events, etc. may be approved for posting dependent upon space.

A: The Kala Pointer is the monthly newsletter created and distributed electronically by the Kala Point Publications Committee. It is available the first of each month and can be received or viewed in the following ways:

Through email subscription (free) – please inform the Office that you wish to receive the Kala Pointer through email. Online at www.kalapoint.org (current and back issues) Current issues, printed in black & white, are also available at the Office and the Clubhouse.

A: Check online at www.kalapoint.org for calendar and activities within Kala Point. The current KPOA Residents’ Directory, which is updated in print twice a year and updated monthly on our web site, and the KPOA Owners’ Manual, provide a listing of current activities and groups as well as contact information. You may also call the KPOA Office for information.

A: Summer (April 1 through October 15):

  • 9 am to 9 pm daily


Winter (October 16 through March 31):

  • 9 am to 8 pm Monday through Friday
  • 1 p.m. to 8 p.m. Saturday and Sunday.


The facility includes two meeting rooms:

The Fireplace Room includes a 42” digital TV, games and books.

The Main Room is a large meeting room with a piano, a 70” digital TV, and small kitchen area. There is also a small game room with exercise equipment and a ping pong table; free Wi-Fi, a heated pool; a kiddie pool; sauna; and a Jacuzzi hot tub.

Your Clubhouse key is required for Clubhouse access. To reach a Clubhouse Attendant, call 360-385-3304. The Main Room and Fireplace Room may be reserved for private events for a fee through the KPOA Office.

A: Yes. Contact the timeshare manager (360-385-2367) who will put you in touch with timeshare
owners who have made their units available for rental.

If you have a question we didn’t answer, please drop off ideas in person to or email:

Administrative Assistant, Felice Thompson (felice@kalapoint.org)

General Manager Keith Larson (gm_larson@kalapoint.org).